ergo-log.com

Definition: "An ergogenic aid is any substance or phenomenon that enhances performance "

about us

/

contact

/

Ergo-Log

29.08.2023


After 60, a high intake of vitamin E maintains cognitive abilities

According to a Chinese-American epidemiological study, people over sixty who consume a relatively high amount of vitamin E halve their risk of mental decline compared to peers with relatively little vitamin E in their diet.


After 60, a high intake of vitamin E maintains cognitive abilities


Study
Epidemiologists from Jilin University in China analyzed data from 2,255 Americans over the age of 60, all of whom participated in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) in 2011-2014.

Researchers had measured the study participants' mental abilities with standard tests. The study participants had also kept track of what they ate for several days. Based on this, the researchers calculated how much vitamin E they had consumed. According to the European authority EFSA, adults need an average of 12 milligrams of vitamin E every day. [EFSA Journal 2015;13(7):4149.]

15 percent of the participants consumed more than 12 milligrams of vitamin E per day. The other 85 percent consumed less than 12 milligrams.

Vitamin E is present in sunflower oil, whole grain products, nuts, seeds, vegetables and fruit. There are different forms of vitamin E, of which the tocopherols are the most important. Vitamin E variants are mainly active in the body as an antioxidant.


After 60, a high intake of vitamin E maintains cognitive abilities


Results
The researchers divided the study participants into 4 equally sized groups based on their vitamin E intake. The group with the highest intake (about 10 milligrams of vitamin E per day or more) was 53 percent less likely to have poor cognitive scores than the group with the lowest lowest intake of vitamin E (about 5 milligrams or less).

The researchers created the figure below after adjusting their figures for factors such as age, race, gender, income, education, BMI, coronary disease, hypertension, smoking, alcohol, and diabetes.


After 60, a high intake of vitamin E maintains cognitive abilities


Every milligram of vitamin E that the study participants consumed on a daily basis reduced the chance of serious cognitive decline by 6 percent.

Conclusion
"These findings highlight the importance of including vitamin E-rich foods in the diet, particularly for older adults who may be at a higher risk of cognitive impairment," the researchers write.

Source:
Eur Geriatr Med (2023). https://doi.org/10.1007/s41999-023-00814-w

More:
High vitamin E levels reduce the risk of gallstones 12.01.2023
How vitamin E supplementation can contribute to vitamin E deficiency 27.07.2022
Too much cortisol in your body? Vitamin E may help 16.05.2018
Live two years longer with extra vitamin E 14.07.2017

Archives:
Alzheimer's & Dementia
Vitamin E
Vitamins


Supplementing with Lion's Mane improves mental fitness in people over 50 This many hours of sleep you need to prevent dementia Glucosamine reduces risk of dementia

Supplementing with Lion's Mane improves mental fitness in people over 50
Lion's Mane is a mushroom that traditional Asian healers have used for centuries against forgetfulness and incipient dementia.

This many hours of sleep you need to prevent dementia
7 hours. Epidemiology.

Glucosamine reduces risk of dementia
The supplement industry initially launched glucosamine as a product to protect joints, but the same glucosamine probably does much more.